Is your technology ready to successfully complete an online course?
Technology Recommendations and Requirements
To ensure the best possible learning experience, owning, or having reliable access to, a modern personal computer with virus protection is recommended.
Online courses perform optimally on high-speed internet, particularly with cable and DSL connections.
Some courses might require the need for a webcam, microphone, and internal and/or external computer speakers in order to participate in group discussions, create and upload video submissions, listen to live or pre-recorded lectures and videos, etc. Please check with your instructor to ask what type of technology might be necessary in order to be successful in the course. Technology requirements may vary from class to class.
Visit the Canvas browser and computer requirements page and run their browser checker to make sure you are ready to go!
Other types of Technology Requirements to be a successful online student:
- Reliable word processing software such as MS Word. UNM students can download MS Office 365 for free. Details on what it is and who is eligible.
- Ability to save files in .docx or .rtf format. Please note that Mac Pages and Google doc files are not accepted for submitted assignments. Both programs have Export or Save as options that let you convert your work to .docx.
- Ability to view course materials by using Adobe Acrobat free file reader and MS Word.
- Regular and weekly access to UNM Canvas and your UNM email account.
- Ability to download and use Kaltura Capture or Adobe Premier Rush, Adobe’s video editing tool. UNM students can download Adobe Premier Rush for free through Adobe Creative Cloud. Note: branch campus students should double-check to make sure your campus is participating.