How to Log in to Canvas
Canvas is the Learning Management System (LMS) used by the University of New Mexico to deliver online instruction. Please see the instructions for logging in below.
Log into Canvas using a Browser
Log into Canvas using the Mobile App
Log into Canvas via MyUNM
How to log into Canvas using a Browser
- Go to https://canvas.unm.edu or click on the “Log In” button at the top of this page. If you are already logged in to UNM systems via Azure AD (Lobomail, UNM Zoom, Office 365, etc.) you will automatically be logged into Canvas
- If you are not already logged in to UNM systems via Azure AD, you will be prompted to sign in. Enter your full UNM email address (e.g., <your UNM NetID>@unm.edu). Do not just put your NetID. You must add the @unm.edu to the end. You will be prompted to set up Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) during your login process if you have not already done so. For more information on MFA, please visit the FastInfo.
- Enter your password.
- Approve Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) sign in request (via text, call or Authenticator app).
- If you select “Yes” on “Stay signed in,” the Azure AD system will set your session to be valid for 90 days or until you logout or change your password. If you select “No,” your session will be valid for 24 hours or until the browser window is closed. Keep in mind that you will be prompted to sign in with MFA again if you use a different device, web browser, or clear the cookies in the browser you logged in with.
How to log into the Canvas App
- Download the Canvas Student, or Canvas Teacher app.
- Tap on the option to find your school and enter “UNM” into the text field. Tap on “Go”.
- You will then be taken to unm.instructure.com where you can type in your NetID credentials.
How to log into Canvas via MyUNM
Canvas can be accessed from MyUNM by clicking on the UNM Canvas Logo. You will be prompted to enter your full UNM email address (e.g., <your UNM NetID>@unm.edu). Remember to also add @unm.edu to the end of your NetID when logging in. If you are already logged in to UNM systems via Azure AD (Lobomail, UNM Zoom, Office 365, etc.) you will automatically be logged into Canvas.
NOTE: If you receive an error similar to "Sorry, but we’re having trouble signing you in…The signed in user <email> is not assigned to a role for the application” the issue may be caused by your HSC NetID credentials being cached in your browser. See Main Campus - HSC Azure AD Authentication Conflicts
For information on how to navigate Canvas, please see the following help resources: