Virtual Proctoring of Tests
To promote academic integrity, your instructor may include virtually proctored tests in your UNM Canvas course. Please view your course syllabus and consult with your instructor as to whether or not this will be utilized in your given course. Again, not all courses use virtual proctoring!
Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that you install on your machine. For tests your instructor has so designated, you can only take them using LockDown Browser (other browsers, like Google Chrome or Safari or Microsoft Edge will not work). Depending on the settings your instructor has chosen, the Respondus LockDown Browser is designed so that you cannot print, copy text, visit other sites, access other applications on your machine, or close the test window until you have submitted it.
Requirements for taking quizzes with Respondus Lockdown Browser:
- You must have a supported operating system.
- For Windows /PC to install, update, and run LockDown Browser.
- For Mac to install and update. LockDown Browser can then be run as any type of user.You must be able to log into your machine as an administrator:
- Be sure you use the most recent version, the one designed expressly for UNM. Downloading a generic copy from the internet will not work. We have also seen issues when using older versions. Consult How to update LockDown Browser.
You must have two devices to support Multi-Factor Authentication, e.g., a registered cell phone or access to separate computer to be able to receive the log in authorization code while the desktop on your primary device is locked by Respondus LockDown Browser.
- Respondus LockDown Browser does NOT work on mobile devices, except iPads (This is up to your instructor's discretion. IF they have chosen to enable the setting and allow you to take tests on an iPad, you must to go to the App store to download and install Respondus LockDown Browser.)
- If your instructor requires video monitoring, you will need a webcam.
- You must have a reliable and stable Internet connection.
Respondus Monitor is an additional tool instructors can enable for a test. It uses the LockDown Browser application and also uses your webcam and microphone to record your activities during the test. No one can review this video live, but it is viewable afterwards by your instructor and their course assistants. The recording is processed to flag certain types of behavior, such as leaving the recordable area.
For step-by-step instructions, see Using Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor.
- Required microphones and webcams are available for purchase at UNM Bookstores via your bursar account.
- With the exception of iPads (IF your instructor chooses to allow them), tablets are not compatible with this product. You must use a laptop or desktop computer you have admin access to and can use Multi-Factor Authentication with to take virtually proctored tests
- If Respondus LockDown Browser is used in your course, additional instructions and tutorials will be provided to you in the course.
- Not all courses use virtual proctoring. Check with your instructor if you have any questions.