Using Respondus LockDown Browser & Monitor
There are known issues with older versions of LockDown Browser, so be sure students update to the latest version. See How to update Respondus LockDown Browser.
The Chromebook version of Respondus Lockdown Browser has a few known issues. Please review this page when using this tool in your course.
To promote academic integrity, your instructor may include virtually proctored tests in your UNM Canvas course. For tests being proctored using Respondus LockDown Browser or Respondus Monitor, you must use the link provided by your instructor or by UNM Canvas Support (below) to download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser on your computer. You will need administrator access to your machine. If you cannot access the equipment necessary to meet the technical requirements for Respondus, contact your instructor to make alternative arrangements.
A little about each tool:
Respondus Monitor is an additional tool instructors can enable for a test. It uses the LockDown Browser application and also uses your webcam and microphone to record your activities during the test. No one can review this video live, but it is viewable afterwards by your instructor and their course assistants. The recording is processed to flag certain types of behavior, such as leaving the recordable area.
Respondus LockDown Browser is an app you will need to download to your laptop or computer. For computers, the link is institution-specific: https://download.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=356714141Technical Requirements
- You must have a supported operating system.
- You must be able to log into your machine as an administrator:
- For Windows /PC to install, update, and run LockDown Browser.
- For Mac to install and update. LockDown Browser can then be run as any type of user.
- Additional device requirements/restrictions
- Note: As of 3/23/2021, you must have two devices to support Multi-Factor Authentication, e.g., a registered cell phone or access to separate computer to be able to receive the log in authorization code while the desktop on your primary device is locked by Respondus LockDown Browser.
- Respondus LockDown Browser does NOT work on mobile devices, except iPads (This is up to your instructor's discretion. IF they have choosen to enable the setting and allow you to take tests on an iPad, you must to go to the App store to download and install Respondus LockDown Browser.)
- If your instructor requires video monitoring, you will need a webcam.
- You must have a reliable and stable Internet connection.
NOTE: If you cannot access the equipment necessary to meet these requirements, contact your instructor to make alternative arrangements.
How to install Respondus LockDown Browser
1. From a Windows or Mac computer, use the link provided by your instructor or the one provided here: https://download.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=356714141
2. Review the video and Terms & Conditions.
3. Click "Install Now."4. When finished, there should be a shortcut for it on your desktop.
How to take a test using Respondus LockDown Browser
1. Before beginning any new test that requires Respondus, close and save your work, quit active programs and reboot the computer.
2. Launch Respondus LockDown Browser installed. Note: on Windows OS, you will need to use an admin account to launch it. Make sure you are on a good, stable Internet connection. Respondus will alert you to close certain applications (browser, chat, music, etc.) when it starts. You can close them beforehand or allow Respondus to do it for you.
3. Once launched, it will take you to the UNM Canvas login page. Log in to UNM Canvas with NetID@unm.edu and password. You will notice that many options, like the address bar, are not visible in the browser.
4. Navigate to your course.
5. Find the test and read the instructions. When ready, click Begin.
6. If your test also requires a Webcam/Respondus Monitor, you will be presented with a series of steps. Be sure you are in a well-lit, clear, and quiet area. It may be best to make sure others are not using your bandwidth while taking your test. Depending on the Startup Sequence chosen by your instructor, you may be prompted to take a photo, record your environment, and/ or present a valid ID.
7. Once you finish the Startup Sequence, you can begin the test.
8. Once you are finished and have submitted your test, close the Respondus LockDown Browser.
Note: if applicable, you will need to use Respondus LockDown later to view your test results.